Saturday, December 09, 2006

Is That a Car Sound I Hear?

Very exciting - both Ric and I thought that Aiden is making the "car" sound ("brrrruuuum") when he is playing with toy cars today. Also - Aiden is definately doing the "airplane" sound ("aaahhh aaaahhhh"), plus several other "hard" sounds like "ba ba ba" and "da da" (although not in relation to anything in particular).

I mentioned earlier in the week that Aiden's Audiologist gave us some wig tape on Monday to try. We have used it on a couple of occasions, and it seems to work - but only for a limited amount of time. One perfect example was in the grocery store the other day. I used the tape to secure his ear mic behind his ear and it stayed on for the entire trip. This was a HUGE improvement from last time when it came off every two seconds. The tape seems to hold until Aiden decides that he is going to pull the mic off. Then, even just one removal seems to weaken the "stick" of the tape. However, it works for awhile which is better than nothing! We have run out of our sample, so I will have to visit a little wig store in Belleville and re-stock.

I should mention that most of the times we have had Aiden out this week, lots of people have commented on or asked about his implant. EVERYONE takes an extra long look at him, but more people are actually saying something now. One lady in the grocery store commented to her friend, "oh, that baby (yes - she meant my 2 year old!!) has a hearing aid." Again when we were at the checkout another lady asked about Aiden's implant and said she thinks she has seen him at the store before. This lady was interesting, she told me that her husband had to go to an Ottawa hospital A LOT too - every six months!!! I didn't have the heart to tell her that we go every week. To her, twice a year was a real challenge :>

Then again, when we were out for lunch at Cora's, a couple at the next table asked lots of questions about Aiden's implant. I keep thinking that I should make little cards or something with a picture of the internal and external device and a little description of the implant to hand out. I think it's nice when people are genuinely interested - and I feel like I should at least try to give them good answers to their questions.

10 Comments:

At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole,

First let me just say YAY! I'm so happy to read that your boy is saying his "Learning to Listen" sounds! I can't wait until Ethan is doing the same. Today our big breakthrough was when the phone rang. He pointed to his ear as if to say "I hear that", then pointed to the phone on the wall across the room! I was blown away.

We use wig tape on occasion successfully, but like you said, it only takes one tug and you're cutting and applying a new piece. It isn't worth the hastle for us. I found that his ear is still sticking out more than the other anyway, so it stays on pretty well most of the time.

And I'm with you, it's so hard to explain what the implant is is a quick easy to understand way. I want to make sure they understand that it's way more than just a hearing aid. I love it when folks ask about it and am very happy to discuss it. It's a miracle after all!

Best,
Heather, Ethan's mommy

 
At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole,
We can hardly wait for you and the boys to come today. It is four days since we have seen you and it seems like ages. Aiden is changing every day and we feel we are missing each little step. It is amazing to think that he is repeating the sounds and the actions that go along with them. His world is opening up and more people are entering into his life. He has absorbed so much sound in the last three weeks you would think he would be overwhelmed but he just seems to be processing it all and remaining his engaging, inquisitive little self. Not only is his hearing developing but his climbing ability and his analytical ability is growing by leaps and bounds. It is hard to put it into words but his winning smile is simply captivating us all.

I would ditto the comments about how frustrating it is keeping the microphone on Aiden's ear. You have the patients of Job. We are very proud of all of you as you provide a loving, interesting and safe home for both Noah and Aiden. Aiden's Grandma

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The start is there. The journey has entered new landscapes... With peaks everywhere. One even more beautiful than the next.

I might have said this before, but keeping the BTE's on the back of the shoulders of Lotte has been without problems. But then, we ONLY use the BTE's. Not the bodyworn.(Have a look at her website.)

As for explaining how CI works, I put some links to animations there. (See left side of the blog)

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger J. Robbins said...

Hello. I love your blog, what a sweet little guy you have. Thank you for the nice comments about my son. Jack is doing well and he loves to be hearing! Implants are truly a MIRACLE. I will be checing back for future posts, please check back for more on Jack also. jackciboy.blogspot.com

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger J. Robbins said...

Thank you for the nice comments about my son, Jack. Jack is doing well and he loves to hear! CI's are truly a MIRACLE. I'm so glad you enjoyed looking at Jack's site. Your son is adorable and I'm glad to hear he is doing well. I will keep checking back for future posts. jackciboy.blogspot.com

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger J. Robbins said...

sorry about the two comments. I thought the first one didn't go through.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Shiloh said...

I understand what you mean about wishing to have a card to show everyone about the implant! We were at the Dr. office the other day and a little boy asked his daddy what was on Isaac's back and the dad looked at me like I was supposed to explain. Everyone in the waiting room was waiting for my answer. It would have been helpful to have at least the Nucleus Freedom booklet with me. I don't think they understood how the magnet stuck to Isaac's head. I still don't think the got it that surgery was involved. If anyone has any pointers.....I would love to hear them!

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Shiloh said...

Hello Nicole,
Sorry I didn't introduce myself before my first post. I found the link to your site on Cloggy's blog for his daughter Lotte. I am the mom to Isaac (Born 3-17-05). His CI was activated on 10-20-06. Please feel free to visit his site at http://isaacsjourney.blogspot.com
I love to hear about other experiences with the CI. This is such amazing technology! Good Luck and God Bless you on your journey with Aiden!

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin shoes, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade outlet, nike free, oakley sunglasses, uggs on sale, nike outlet, tiffany and co, ralph lauren pas cher, nike free, louboutin pas cher, ugg boots, louis vuitton, nike roshe run, replica watches, air max, michael kors, louis vuitton outlet, sac longchamp, longchamp, louis vuitton, louboutin, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, gucci outlet, burberry, tiffany jewelry, louboutin outlet, replica watches, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, nike air max, air jordan pas cher, louis vuitton, longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp outlet, chanel handbags, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

north face outlet, new balance, hollister, vans shoes, timberland boots, birkin bag, nike air max, ghd, hollister, bottega veneta, instyler, nfl jerseys, oakley, abercrombie and fitch, reebok shoes, louboutin, asics running shoes, wedding dresses, babyliss, giuseppe zanotti, soccer shoes, beats by dre, jimmy choo shoes, mac cosmetics, north face outlet, nike huarache, longchamp, converse, iphone cases, vans, ralph lauren, insanity workout, hollister, valentino shoes, herve leger, celine handbags, nike roshe, nike air max, lululemon, p90x workout, soccer jerseys, ray ban, converse outlet, baseball bats, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, gucci, nike trainers, mont blanc, chi flat iron

 

Post a Comment

<< Home